CEI Tutoring Center
The Tutoring Center is committed to serving all students.
- Math assistance is available either in person or over Zoom. Appointments are recommended.
- Writing assistance is available in person or over Zoom by appointment only.
- Other Subjects: Contact the CEI Tutoring Center Coordinator, Julie Kaufman, to get help from a tutor in other subject areas such as chemistry, physics, A&P, and Microbiology.
- Study: Make an appointment to study in the tutoring center. Help is available!
Tutoring Center Tips
- Don't procrastinate.
- Math: Keep up with your assignments. Visit the CEI Tutoring Center regularly. Avoid the rush and crunch. Tests come at the same time for everyone.
- Writing: Start working on essays immediately. Plan on more than one appointment. Writing is a process. A last minute review may be too late to make necessary changes.
- Make an appointment to study in the tutoring center. You will have help available if you get stuck.
- If you need help in another subject, you can contact the CEI Tutoring Center Coordinator, Julie Kaufman, to get help from a tutor in other subject areas.
The best help you can receive is in person, from your instructor or from our CEI Tutoring Center tutors. However, if it's midnight and you are struggling to find that perfect phrase, wondering how to cite a particular source, or needing any other writing help, check out the wonderful site below.
The Owl: Purdue University's easy search site for a variety of writing questions.
The best help you can receive is in person, from your instructor or from our CEI Tutoring Center tutors. However, if it's midnight and you are struggling with that quadratic equation, wondering how to solve that story problem, or are needing any other math help, check out the wonderful sites below.
Graphing Help Purple Math: An extensive site for help with your algebra questions.
The World of Math Online: A comprehensive site including an "Ask the Expert" link.
Khan Academy: A free site where you can learn almost anything by math topic.
Adopted from Boise State University's Writing and Math Center, below are policies students should be aware of before their first visit. If you have any questions, please call (208) 535-5490.
Writing Tutoring Policies
Writing tutors are committed to helping any member of the CEI community.
Click to See All Writing Policies
- Writing tutors are committed to helping any member of the CEI community. We will help you at any stage of the writing process, from brainstorming ideas to polishing final drafts. We are an active learning center, which means that our tutors work with you, not for you. We will ask questions to prompt your thinking and offer suggestions about what can be done in certain writing situations, but you will make the final decisions on your writing. Everything you write belongs to you; your end product should retain your own voice and ideas.
- You may schedule an appointment by calling, emailing, or going to https://app.acuityscheduling.com/schedule.php?owner=16532641 or drop in for assistance at any time the Center is open. Walk-ins are always welcome, but appointments are advised as the tutors are often in high demand. Appointments will be honored ahead of walk-ins, but only if you arrive on time for your appointment, so please be punctual. If you are more than 10 minutes late, we will ask you to reschedule.
- If the writing you are working on is for a class, please bring a copy of the relevant assignment with you. If there is no written assignment sheet, please bring any notes you’ve taken or information you’ve been given about the outline. It is also helpful for tutors to know of any of the teacher’s previous comments.
- We are happy to help you identify errors and teach you how to correct them. You cannot drop off a paper and have the tutors edit it. We also cannot offer any suggestions as to what grade a paper may receive.
Math Tutoring Policies
Tutors will not offer help on any take-home exams...
Click to See All Math Policies
- Tutors will not offer help on any take-home exams.
- When seeking help on a specific problem, remember to bring your math textbook with you. This helps the tutors put the problem into the correct context of the assigned chapter material.
- Math tutoring is available without an appointment. Walk-ins are always welcome.
- Be aware that math tutors are helping a number of students at the same time. After you have had help with your questions, the tutor may move on to other students as they are needed. Don't worry, though, they will come back to you when you need it!
Room 125, Sessions Bldg. #1
Mon-Thurs: 9 a.m. - 8 p.m.
Friday: 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.