COVID-19 UPDATE: Campus Is Open Read More

Financial Aid

Veteran Services

Welcome Veterans!

College of Eastern Idaho is grateful for the service that our current service members and veterans have made and continue to make for our country.

CEI's goal is to make the process of receiving Veteran Affairs (VA) Educational Benefits as easy as possible. VA services are provided by the CEI Certifying Officials in the Financial Aid Office located in the John E. Christofferson Building.

Veterans, a dependent of a veteran, a spouse of a veteran, or a reservist, may be eligible for VA education benefits. CEI offers assistance in applying for educational benefits. You may follow the steps below or you may come to our office for assistance.

Information to Gather When Applying for Education Benefits:

  • Your social security number
  • Bank routing and account number for direct deposit purposes
  • Education history, degrees, and training dates completed
  • Military history, DD-214 Form(s), or separation papers for entering dates of your military service
  • Address of the school or training institution you plan to attend:  College of Eastern Idaho, 1600 South 25th East, Idaho Falls, ID 83404

How to Apply for VA Benefits?

  1. Complete the Veteran Online Application by "applying for education benefits" at 

  2. Use the GI Bill® Comparison Tool to learn about education programs, compare benefits by school, and for help choosing the program that best fits your needs.   *IMPORTANT* If you are eligible for more than one educational benefit, be sure to understand all the benefits you are eligible for before changing from the Montgomery GI Bill® to the Post 9/11 GI Bill®. You are required to choose which benefit to receive, that decision is final and cannot be changed.  Comparison Chart for Education Benefits

  3. A Certificate of Eligibility will be mailed to you from the VA; veterans or dependents will submit the Certificate of Eligibility to the VA Certifying Official at CEI.

What Items to Submit to the Veteran Certifying Official?

  1. Copy of DD-214 for Veterans
  2. Certificate of Eligibility
  3. Official Joint Service Transcript (Please contact the Certifying Official for instructions to request this transcript)
  4. Complete form Veteran Request for Certification

How to Apply to College of Eastern Idaho?

  1.  Apply online for admission to CEI.
  2.  Submit official transcripts from the last high school attended or GED.
  3.  Submit transcripts from all post-secondary education and military if applicable.
  4.  Complete all requirements for admission.

Every Semester to Receive Education Benefits Veterans Must:

  • Meet with your program Advisor.
  • Be accepted into a VA approved program.
  • Register for classes.
  • Complete the form Veteran Request for Certification and return it to the VA Certifying Official.
  • Chapter 30 Veterans, must certify enrollment every month, even if only attending a few days of the month. Go to W.A.V.E. (Web Automated Verification of Enrollment). (Montgomery GI Bill®, Chapter 30 veterans only).

Important Information for Class Registration:

  • Before making changes to your class schedule, be sure to speak to the Certifying Official at CEI.
  • Dropping or changing classes can affect your benefits and may cause a payback on your benefits.
  • Notify the Certifying Official in the Financial Aid Office of any changes to your schedule or program.

Other Helpful Information:

  • It is important to note that students receiving VA educational benefits may also be eligible to receive financial aid and/or scholarships.
  • Apply for Financial Aid at (Free Application for Federal Student Aid).
  • For scholarship information go to CEI Foundation Scholarships.
  • Contact the VA directly for questions concerning your eligibility of benefits at 1.888.442.4551.
  • Note: CEI does not participate in the Yellow Ribbon Program.

Veteran Services are currently provided by Krysta Madrigal, CEI Veteran Certifying Official.

  • Phone: 208.535.5447 
  • Fax: 208.525.7026
  • Office: Christofferson Bldg. #3, Room 353

Veteran Emergency Funding

College of Eastern Idaho has received funding to assist veteran students who demonstrate financial need. This funding is to help assist veterans financially while they are working towards graduation or to assist in completing their current term. To be eligible for this funding, the veteran student must be a current student who is enrolled in at least one credit. The veteran student can either be actively receiving VA benefits or be a veteran who is not receiving VA benefits.

* GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the United States Department of Veterans Affairs (VA).  The absence of the registration symbol ® does not constitute a waiver of VA"s trademark rights in that phrase. 

College of Eastern Idaho, 208.524.3000, 1600 S 25th E, Idaho Falls, ID 83404

Student Right To Know

2021 All Rights Reserved, AA/EEO Institution